Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sterling Road Race

The ladies had 6 laps around the course at Sterling – for me that meant counting our runs up the steep hill and staying with the group between those efforts. I hoped that I could get into a break that formed at the top of the steep hill. The first three times up the hill I was either pack-sliding on the climb or not in a good position to accelerate at the top of the climb. There were several strong riders in the group, but no one putting out effort to break up the group. The pace between the climbs was downright social. Keri Litka and a girl from Sunapee got off the front (separate occasions) but did not maintain their positions. Former NEBC rider, Sally Annis, made a good effort at one point also, but ended up back in the pack too. It seemed to be a game of chicken not to pull the field around – one which I lost – succumbing to boredom and pulling a large portion of the 1st lap and also taking a turn to relieve my fellow frequent field puller at sluggish races, Audrey Fredrickson Scott, on laps 5 and 6. Lap 4 I was in a decent spot coming into Sterling. I attacked and think that I had some success in momentarily waking people up, but no success in getting off the front because I didn’t power up the hill fast enough. I refocused my efforts on having a good position in the final two corners. I was in the 5th or 6th spot on the 1st corner, but between the corners I lost my cool and failed to hold my position. I ended disappointed with my performance in this race but I was excited to see teammate Jackie rocket up the hill to a nice finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment