Sunday, June 2, 2013

running in springtime



This winter was a fun one for running with the BRC  http://www.borderlinerunningclub.com/, around the neighborhood and on local trails.  I ran the Stu's 30K in March - something of a tradition for me - I think this was the 4th time.  Last year I ran quite slowly and spent my time chatting with ultramarathon friend Neil, getting ideas together for future free time activities.  This year I decided to pick up the pace and try to give pace with the most fit looking woman.  It was a challenge and my legs starting hurt after about, oh 4 miles.  Twice a week training didn't really do it but I pressed on to the half way point at which time I was leading the women at an unsustainable pace (for me).  At that point, the previously identified most fit looking woman of the race and two others picked up the pace and gradually disappeared down the road.  I continued my chugging around the reservoir enjoying the views of snowy trees and pace of feet ahead of me.  Happy to make a personal record this year, beating my time from 2004.

A friend (cyclocross racer) suggested that I run the Seven Sisters Race in Amherst http://www.7sisterstrailrace.com/.  This turned out to be an great idea - as it involved a trip to Amherst on a day with wonderful spring weather and blooms.  A large tent on the green housed a women's association booksale and we made some wonderful find there, A Year in Provence and Coyote along with a handful of travel books I hope to take to the beach later this year.  We enjoyed exploring a woods in town with Mocha and discovered a lovely river and labyrinth there.   An of course the race - this is really one for a cyclocross racer - as it consisted of a series (12 miles in fact of steep run ups - followed by steep descents.  With no bicycle - I was pretty slow on the descents - especially compared to the seasoned trail runners.  I started near the front of the race and was passed by about 30 guys on descents.  The race has a lot of people and I'm happy that I got up near the start line - even then I was stuck in traffic for the first mile but plenty of space after a few miles.  Since the race in March I had taken my running down to once a week and since shoulder injury (Ford Explorer I'd stopped going to the gym).  I'd say I had about the min training I'd consider trying to do this event with and really I'm fortunate to not have sprained an ankle.  I did learn something about cross training though - it is a good idea to put in the time on core training.  The day prior to the race I rode a 200K brevet on my racing bike and I'd noticed that my lower back felt a bit sore during that.  The results of that during the running race were comical.  I felt like a great ape running up the steep slopes.  My lower back was so fatigued that I couldn't hold my torso upright - this of course made me prone to tipping over in the forward direction.  Yes, I do still have all my teeth but finished with a bit more mud and scratches than most.

A week before the seven sisters race I got an e-mail that my number had come up on the waitlist for the Wapack Race  http://wapacktrailrace.com/, one that Neil had told me about as a particularly brutal ultra which ran up a mountain.  Hmm, I didn't remember signing up for that in Feb but the website promised pretzels at aid stations along the trail and for the short version (21.5 miles) a shuttle bus to the start of the trail.  Neil, his dog, Mocha, and Patrick, and I had a wonderful hike on a portion of the trail a week prior and it seemed like a real gem, lovely views and few visitors.  I signed up for the race - after all with the 7 Sisters race the week prior, I'd have one solid training session.  The race turned out to be wonderful!  Small so no congestion on the trail at all!  Wonderful trail - even up the mountain wasn't that bad - rocks and roots but at my own pace it was fine.  I was able to see runners ahead a good portion of the time to keep my motivated but also had some peaceful time on the ridge by myself (then blown by on the descent).  I got some personal satisfaction by passing a number of guys on steep sections.  The race goes by a pond which is remote and really lovely - trying to figure out when I can find a full day to hike in and see it again.  The way that the race works is people doing the short version start mid morning on one end of the trail and those running 50 miles start on the other very early.  So, coming down the mountain, I got to say hi to the all of the ultramarathon runners including Neil - all of whom were very encouraging - I thought this was kind of funny - they have very positive attitudes for people that have been running rough trail - for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment