Saturday, September 21, 2013

Avignon; Packing up the Bikes


We had two objectives for the day: visit the Papal palace and pack up the bikes.  The inside of the palace was interesting enough and was one of the few places we visited with descriptions in English. 
We found out that palace was added onto by 5 popes that lived there and at one point the palace was attacked.  Like all of the castles, it was quite fortified. 


After lunch, Anna and Sasha headed out on their bicycles to see sights across the river.  Patrick packed up our bicycles in the hallway of the hotel while I wandered the crowded Saturday shopping streets window shopping and people watching.  The highlight of my wander was hearing church bells ring to celebrate a wedding.  I stopped in the river of shoppers to listen to the loud, melodious peals and I was determined to stand there until they stopped ringing.  I stood for quite some time. 

Later, we made our way to the park by the palace so I could show Patrick these little pedal horses for rent.  I thought they were just adorable.



View of the palace from the park.

My last pastry in France.



We enjoyed dinner at a busy cafe which specialized in open face sandwiches.  Mine had anchovies on tomato with white onion, capers, and lemon.  Tasty.

Top food of the day: fruit tart

No comments:

Post a Comment