Friday, September 13, 2013

Moustiers-Sainte-Marie to Manosque; market morning


I spotted a market setting up at the edge of the village when I ventured out for an early coffee.  Our departure was delayed a bit so we could stock up on goodies.  Anise, orange, almond, and lavender cookies, cheeses, sausages, vegetables, candied fruits.  We set off fully loaded for views of butterflies in lavender and quails running through tilled fields.   We also spotted little white snails that cling to stalks of grass and reminded me of seascape.  It was a nice morning cycling through fields, stands of oak, and rolling hills of oak.  One bit of excitement was spotting a military helicopter doing low maneuvers quite close to us.  Manosque is a workaday town with a fair bit of cars.  It is on a hill which really made my knee ache (as we weren't going far I skipped the ibuprofen I'd relied on since finishing the climb our of Nice).  After riding around there for a while doing errands I was beat and had to take a nap.

We enjoyed a lunch in a cafe which had 46 different ceramic chickens on display.

We stayed in an extended stay hotel at the end of town.  It was basic, but did have a hedge of rosemary outside.  Too bad I can't get my rosemary at home to grow like that!

Top food of the day: eggplant and goat cheese pie    Well, maybe a tie with the fruit and chocolate tarts which Anna bought to celebrate her birthday.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment