Friday, November 1, 2013

Daily Celebration

It's the time of year here when it is tempting to curl up for a long winter's nap, and poke a toe out in April to see what it's like out there.  I find these short daylight hours a challenging time to keep a positive perspective on things.  I am interested to create a daily ritual to remind me how wonderful it is to be outside.  My goal is one picture a day from outside and see what I can learn from the discipline it will take to keep this up for a year.  I flipped through a book in July which was a collection of essays, one for a day for a year from a man with the practice of walking a two miles trail near his home each day.  He considered this practice to be his version of a thru hike on the Appalachian trail.   The man dreamed of hiking the AT but found that he was not able to do so due to his life circumstance.  He did find time to reflect and find meaning in watching the seasons on his daily walk.  Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of this book, if you have seen it, please comment with the title.  I don't think that I have the discipline to walk the same trail each day, instead this will be from wherever I find myself.  I am going to use a little old camera that fits in my jersey and is waterproof.  It doesn't take good quality pictures but it is a start anyway.

I bushwacked behind the compost pile to see what could be found in the part of the backyard I haven't visited in a few years.  I found this sign of wildlife.  I have not seen a beaver in the yard before, but that may be because I'm not looking hard enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment