Monday, November 11, 2013

Tarnished face

When the leaves come down, you may see things you never noticed before.  This face decorates a stone planter that looks like perhaps it may have formally been a fountain.  The planter sits in the road at an intersection in North Andover which I pass on my commute.  I estimate that I've passed by this 1,500 times before on my bicycle and quite a few times on foot.  I've also passed by it many times in a car.  I don't remember noticing it before and I certainly have never stopped to look at it. The inscription on the planter includes the words "native town", donated by a citizen to the town many years ago.  What exactly is the face?  Suggestive of a lion.  There are two stone lions not too far from my house which I considered a landmark when I explored the neighborhood.  Sadly one of them was destroyed this year.  I may photograph the surviving one later on for this series. 


No comments:

Post a Comment